He filled his spare time, following the steps how to install ArcGIS 10.1. This tutorial writer took from ArcGIS 10.1 quick start guide.
- Prior to installing, please review the ArcGIS for Desktop System Requirements.
- Note: The Microsoft® .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is required to install ArcGIS for Desktop. The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup can be downloaded from Microsoft or installed using the setup provided on your ArcGIS media.
Install ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop (Basic, Standard, Advanced)
- If the setup menu does not automatically display, navigate to the ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop media and run ESRI.exe.
- Existing users previous to ArcGIS 10.1: Uninstall any ArcGIS installations previous to ArcGIS 10.1. Use the ArcGIS Uninstall Utility, available on the media setup menu under Uninstall Existing ArcGIS Software, to locate and automatically remove previous ArcGIS products that are installed on your machine.
- Select the software you want to install from the setup menu and follow the instructions to complete the installation process. The ArcGIS for Desktop setup includes a number of optional extensions that can be authorized during the ArcGIS for Desktop authorization process. In addition, the following extensions are available as separate setups and will require additional licenses.
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer for Desktop
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager for Desktop
- If you have any questions about the items listed on the setup menu, additional information regarding an item can be found by hovering the mouse over the product link.
The ArcGIS Case Tools for Desktop, ArcGIS VBA Compatibility, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Python 2.7 setups can also be found on your ArcGIS media by clicking Browse from the setup menu.
Upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 Single Use licenses to 10.1
For existing ArcGIS 10.0 users, automatic license upgrade functionality has been introduced at ArcGIS 10.1 which allows for a much easier license upgrade process. Instead of deauthorizing older licenses and authorizing the latest version, users can convert their existing 10.0 licenses to 10.1 using the one-step upgrade option.
- Uninstall ArcGIS 10.0 Desktop without deauthorizing your existing licenses.
- Install ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop.
- On completion of the ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop installation, you will be automatically prompted to upgrade your licenses if 10.0 licenses are already present. Follow the instructions to complete the upgrade process.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop
Note: ArcGIS 10.1 software requires 10.1 authorization numbers which can be obtained from the Authorization and Provisioning page on the Esri Customer Care Portal. The copy protection mechanism for ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop and ArcGIS 10.1 Engine Concurrent Use product lines has been updated to use the FlexNet Publisher v11.10 software. This update requires that ArcGIS 10.1 License Manager is installed for Concurrent Use licenses.
ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop can be authorized by Single Use licenses, or by connecting to a License Manager which is authorized with 10.1 Concurrent Use licenses. Please see the ArcGIS 10.1 License Manager Quick Start Guide for more information on setting up a License Manager.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Single Use
- Recommended: An Internet connection to complete the authorization steps below.
- If you do not have an Internet connection for the machine on which you intend to install the software, you can authorize the software via e-mail or via the Esri Customer Care Web site.
- If you want to facilitate the authorization process or authorize silently, a provisioning file generated from the Authorizing and Provisioning portal of the Esri Customer Care site can be used.
- After the installation, select the required Single Use product in the ArcGIS Administrator Wizard.
- Click Authorize Now.
- Select the default option I have installed my software and need to authorize it.
- Select Authorize with ESRI now using the Internet. If using a provisioning file, select the option I have received an authorization file from ESRI and browse to the file.
- Enter your personal information where applicable.
- Enter your core product authorization number (ESUxxxxxxxxx). See the Authorization and Provisioning page on the Esri Customer Care Portal to obtain this if you do not have this number available to you.
- Enter the authorization numbers for extensions if applicable. For extensions not listed, manually type in the extension name and the authorization number.
- Click Finish after the authorization process is complete.
- Click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator. Your software is now ready for use.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop Concurrent Use
Defining the License Manager
- After the installation, select the desired concurrent use product in the ArcGIS Administrator wizard and specify the name of your license manager.
- Once you have set your license manager, click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator wizard. Your software is now ready for use.
Borrowing and returning licenses
If you need to work while away from your network, you can borrow the core product and any necessary extensions currently available on your license manager. The default borrow time-out is 30 days. Contact your license administrator to modify this time-out date.
- After installing the software and defining the license manager, open the ArcGIS Administrator from Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator.
- Select the Desktop product folder from the table of contents and make sure the product you want to borrow is selected.
- Click the Borrow/Return folder, and check the boxes next to the features you want to borrow, then click Apply.
- Once the features have been borrowed, click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator.
- To return licenses to the license manager before the time-out, reconnect to your network and open the ArcGIS Administrator by clicking Start > Programs > ArcGIS > ArcGIS Administrator.
- Click the Borrow/Return folder.
- Uncheck the boxes next to the features you have borrowed and click Apply.
- Click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator.
If you have not returned your licenses before they expire, they will automatically be disabled on your machine after the expiration date and be returned to the license manager.
More information about ArcGIS
More information and assistance for ArcGIS products are available via the ArcGIS Resource Center. Use the Resource Centers Web site as your portal to ArcGIS resources such as finding out what’s new at the ArcGIS 10.1 release, help, forums, blogs, downloads, samples and knowledge base articles.
Your Esri office or distributor provides support of ArcGIS 10.1. For your Esri office or distributor’s contact information, please visit http://support.esri.com/en/phoneSupport.